Saturday, September 26, 2009

City of Life and Death Wins Top Prize at San Sebastian Film Festival

China's 'City of Life and Death' wins San Sebastian film prize

Hollywood Reporter:'Life and Death' tops San Sebastian fest
The San Sebastian awards were announced just hours after the People's Republic of China passed over Lu's film in favor of Chen Kaige's opera biopic "Forever Enthralled" as its pick for the foreign-language Oscar.

City Of Life And Death pulls off shock Golden Shell win at San Sebastian
Lu Chuan’s City Of Life And Death, which chronicles the Japanese soldiers’ massacre of the Chinese in Nanking, also picked up the best cinematography award.

Variety: 'City of Life and Death' scoops up the Golden Shell







Premieres Oct. 6th and 7th


Michelle Reis


In Nanjing to endorse jewelry brand (Xinhuanet.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

NY Times: Two ‘Sisters’ From Time of Mao Star Again

Yet another major Chinese film retrospective that will likely never make it to the West Coast. Sigh... :(

The schedule looks great. I'd love to see all of them. In fact, of the 20 films, I've only seen two, Red Detachment of Women and Five Golden Flowers, both of which I really liked. I also found this interesting video essay that provides some background for the series.

Anonymous said...

Here's another video I just found celebrating the PRC's 60 years of filmmaking.

dleedlee said...

Thanks, for the links! I've been dying to catch up Two Stage Sisters since I accidently caught it on TV (yes, MHz) over ten years ago. I think it's actually on DVD now, as are a couple of the other titles on the schedule. Also, in the run up to the 60th anniversary a lot of these old titles were re-issued. Now I'm tempted to go back and revisit the catalog!